Advanced Google Searching Operators Easy Tutorial ?


516
1 comment, 11 shares, 516 points

Less than 3% of the world’s Internet users take advantage of advanced google searching, advanced search Facebook, or advanced search Twitter. The remaining 97% of the internet users just use the basic string search. This, most often, results in an unsatisfactory outcome of the search results. Would you believe me if I told that advanced google searching is not that difficult?

This, most often, results in an unsatisfactory outcome of the search results. Would you believe me if I told that advanced google searching is not that difficult?

google jokes

What is Advanced Google Searching definition?

Google, Facebook, and Twitter provide a simple search bar for users to search for the content they seek. Advanced Google Searching involves using tools and selection filters that are provided by Google to seek very relevant information from among millions of search results.

advanced-google-searching

I will take you through a hands-on, easy and step by step tutorial to quickly learn Advanced Google Searching using google search operators.

Let us spend a minute observing this image and identifying the options provided by Google. For any search string, by default, Google provides you all the results, un-filtered. As you can see, for the same keyword you can also click on Videos to check the videos about your keyword.

Click on News and you can see your keyword related news feeds. Then there are options for images, Maps, and more. Most of you might never have ventured beyond the Maps option.

The only source of knowledge is experience. ahem Google. - Dlbert Einstein Click To Tweet

Settings

Make your Google search Child Safe

The Settings menu as you can see offers Search Settings. If you have a child who browses the internet using your PC, then google provides you a facility to adjust your search settings to not display inappropriate or explicit images.

Although google claims that this may not be 100% accurate, but this is a good profanity blocker. I have known so many parents wondering how to make the Google Search Child Safe.

Multi-channelmarketing automation

With children taking to Google Search with such comfort and enthusiasm, parents have always been worried about such explicit content getting shown in results unintentionally.

You can even set up your google search to display more than 10 results per page! Did you know that? 🙂

search-settings

 

Google Advanced Search

Technology is fast changing. You may be searching for a term and getting results of highly optimized pages. But these pages may have been good 3 years back. Not today.

You can use Google Advanced Search to display only those pages that have been updated recently. Like a week back, or a month back or a year back. Saves you lot of time searching old and outdated articles.

advanced search

You can also use your search to limit the results for a particular website like Wikipedia. Or even a particular Top Level Domain like- .edu, .org or .gov.

You can use Google Advanced Searching to show you results of only a particular file types like pdf, xls, doc, or ppt. This is helpful especially for project works or research when you need to download a case study or an excel template.

The Tools Menu provides you with more filters like Choice of Country, Choice of Results, or Verbatim search.

Google Search Operators

You can use Google Search Operators to get very specific and desirable search results. The table below shows almost all possible Google search operators that can be used for Google advanced searching. All of these are to be used as a Prefix to your search string or keyword.

It may be difficult for you to remember all these Google Search Operators. Hence, for convenience, I have created a link to these operators.

When you click any of the operators, it will open a new tab with Google Search pre-populated with the operator. All you need to do is type your keyword after the operator. Same way like you do a normal search. Cool? Book Mark this page for everyday reference.

 

Web Search allinanchor:  allintext:  allintitle:  allinurl:  cache:  define:  filetype:  id:
 inanchor:  info:  intext:  intitle:  inurl:  link:  related:  site:
Image Search allintitle:  allinurl:  filetype:  inurl:  intitle:  site:
Groups allintext:  allintitle:  author:  group:  insubject:  intext:  intitle:
News allintext:  allintitle:  allinurl:  intext:  intitle:  inurl:  location:  source:

 

Let me explain a few with examples so it will be very easy for you to use this.

Example 1: Let’s assume that you are searching for “Content Creation Marketplaces”. But you need to see results of only those pages that have this keyword in the Title. Use the operator “allintitle:”. Try clicking this link for a quick practice- Content Creation Marketplaces.

Example 2: You need to search for some png images related to “Bloghunt”.  Your search string operator within Google Image tab will be “Bloghunt filetype:png“.  Click the link to understand how to use the Image filetype Operator. Blog hunt.

You can also use the operators in combinations to get even better results. Read this article from Moz on some killer operator combos.

I will be glad to get your feedback and comments on this post.

Summary
Advanced Google Searching Easy Tutorial ?
Article Name
Advanced Google Searching Easy Tutorial ?
Description
Less than 3% of the world's Internet users take advantage of advanced google searching, advanced search Facebook, or advanced search Twitter. The remaining 97% of the internet users just use the basic string search.
Author
Publisher Name
Retainly
Publisher Logo

Like it? Share with your friends!

516
1 comment, 11 shares, 516 points
Palash Bagchi

Constant Innovator, fanatic marketeer, value creator, Growth Hacker. Making a positive impact on society with better technology.

One Comment